Windsor Cycle Hub
Windsor Cycle Hub is a new Cycling UK affiliated group, launched 30th May, 2021 – to celebrate Bike Week.
We're a charity dedicated to supporting the people of Windsor to enjoy cycling in, & around, our historic town. We also welcome cycling visitors to Windsor – we're conveniently located on the Sustrans NCN4 route, just follow the signs.
We meet every Saturday at the Swan from 11am for a chat, coffee & to run our popular 'Bike Kitchen' – for basic checks & repairs, so everyone's has a safe bike. The work's at a level below Dr. Bike, we don't charge (but welcome small donations). We may suggest booking a full Dr.Bike session with our friends at Maidenhead Cycle Hub, who often visit Windsor. Or, if serious, we'll recommend one of our local independent bike shops.
We run organised rides most weekends (see below), setting off at 11:30am. We publicise them here, our social media channels & website. Some Saturdays, instead of a ride, we have workshops on topics like: bike security, fixing punctures & very basic bike maintenance.
Our rides favour low (or no) traffic routes, so there's always at least some off-road so if you & your bike can manage the Jubilee River path then you'll be fine.
Visit our website to find out more & sign-up for updates.
We run group rides to give you the confidence to ride more often in, & around, Windsor. You'll learn new quiet routes – to help get to work, the shops or simply cycle for pleasure.
We prefer off-road riding, often on cycle paths, the Jubilee River etc., & quiet roads. All rides have an element of off-road - suitable for mountain, hybrid, touring, gravel/cross or road bikes with heavier tyres.
We ride most weekends – keep an eye on this site & our own social media. We've got 4 popular types, full details are on our website, & attached, in a nutshell:
1. Gentle Ride - flat, off-road, suitable for the youngest & oldest cyclists, e.g. across the Thames around Dorney Lake & Jubilee River. 1hr, pace of slowest rider, plenty of stops to admire the view. Up to 1hr (up to 8 miles)
2. Gentle Explorer - similar to above, a little faster & further, still flat, but using some quiet roads too e.g. around Eton. 1hr 15mins (10-15 miles)
3. Explorer Ride - adds hills, a little more pace & distance, e.g. Windsor Great Park from The Swan via Stag Meadow cycle path. 1hr 30mins (15-20 miles)
4. Adventurer - steeper hills (even Crimp Hill!), faster, further & a little more on-road riding, e.g. the Great Park via the Castle, or further afield to Cookham. Up to 2hrs (25-30 miles)
We always ride at the pace of the slowest rider, adapting routes on the day to suit all. We have ride leaders, & a rear sweeper.
We aim to worth through our ride classifications in sequence. So, the 1st Saturday of the month will be Gentle, the 2nd Gentle Explorer & on. This means that there's something for every rider each month & everyone can get used to our schedule.
We've 2 extra classifications, by request only:
1. Beginners - adults who've never ridden a bike, or perhaps not since childhood. Normally one-to-one sessions – to give you full attention
2. Pathfinder - Sunday rides where we check quiet routes for our less experienced cyclists. 30-40 miles on request via this site, or DM us on Twitter.
Please check your favourite social media channel a few days before the weekend to see what type of ride we're doing & whether it's suitable for you.