Welcome to the Big Bike Revival team in Scotland!
The Big Bike Revival is all about getting people cycling again. Whether you’ve never taken a cycle ride before in your life, had a bike in the shed for donkeys that needs love, or would like to cycle more regularly but lack the confidence or knowhow, the Big Bike Revival team in Scotland is here to support your journey.
In September and October we’ll be running a huge range of activities across every local authority area in Scotland, so no matter where you are or what’s stopping you the Big Bike Revival team will be on hand to get you cycling. Meet the new team and feel free to get in touch with them if you’d like to get involved.
- Claire Montgomery – Taking care of the west of Scotland, Claire comes to the role with a community development background. She’s a big fan of her bike for getting around Glasgow and uses it to escape to the countryside as much as possible.
- Jeff Frew – Horticulturalist, former political advisor, mountaineer and bike nut Jeff has multiple strings to his bow, which he will no doubt be using to good effect as development officer for south Scotland.
- Ralph Jessop – Our development officer for central Scotland is based at Recyke-a-bike in Stirling. His background in cycling development and bike maintenance makes him a fantastic fit for the Big Bike Revival.
- Richard Bowman – Mountain biker Richard is based in Inverness and is BBR Scotland’s development officer in the north. With an adventure tourism background and more recently community engagement, his skills are just what we’re after to get more people cycling.
- Esmond Sage – As a keen cyclist, Esmond has worked as a sustainable travel advisor, volunteered with Sustrans, and even written and performed an Edinburgh Fringe show all about bicycles! He brings this experience and enthusiasm to eastern Scotland.
- Claire Connachan – With almost a decade of third sector comms experience, Claire has been a volunteer for Cycling UK for the least three years and joins the charity as communications manager for the project.
- Shona Morris – An experienced grant manager and well versed with community development, Shona comes to the Big Bike Revival as project manager and will be working with community groups and bike recycling centres across Scotland.
Led by Suzanne Forup, Cycling UK’s Head of Development Scotland, the Big Bike Revival team will be working with partners to hold free activities all over the country, so there’s bound to be something that will encourage non-cycling friends and family to get cycling again. Whether it’s a Dr Bike to get the shed-bound steed back to health, skills and confidence sessions, route planning help or just a general introduction to cycling, there will be something for everyone.
Of course, the Big Bike Revival is working with the other Cycling UK activities in Scotland, including Edinburgh All Ability Cycling, Play on Pedals and the Belles on Bikes network. There are now 11 Cycling UK staff in Scotland, and we’re all looking forward to working across the country to get more people riding.