Play on Pedals
Play on Pedals is a project funded by players of People’s Postcode Lottery and winner of the 2014 Dream Fund, receiving £232,000 - a record individual award; Play on Pedals is only possible thanks to the support of players of the People’s Postcode Lottery.
Play on Pedals is a partnership between Cycling UK, Cycling Scotland, The Bike Station Glasgow and Play Scotland and is recognised by Glasgow City Council as a Community Based Games Legacy project delivering a very positive Legacy pre and post-Games'.
Working with local ‘hero organisations’ and community groups over the next two years, Play on Pedals will ensure all 7,500 four year olds across Glasgow have the chance to learn to ride a bike before they start school.
Play on Pedals will do this by:
- Working alongside project partners to distribute a 500-strong bike fleet of balance and pedal bikes across the city
- Acknowledging 50 'Hero Organisations' who will receive training, resources and support to develop Play on Pedals within their local communities
- Providing training for 500 volunteers to become instructors, tutors and basic bike mechanics
- Co-ordinating 'bike swaps' through which families can exchange bikes for new sizes to suit childrens' needs
- Supporting small community events and organising 'Glasgovia', a huge celebratory family ride across the city in 2015.