Cycling fights climate change
How can cycling fight climate change?
Transport is the UK's biggest polluting sector, accounting for a quarter of the UK's greenhouse gas emissions.
This can be significantly reduced if more people are enabled to cycle more often.
On 12 November 2022, Cycling UK will join millions of others in a day of global action for COP27, to tell governments that cycling offers huge potential to cut climate emissions, and that active travel must be urgently embraced as part of the solution to the climate crisis.
We need local and national governments to urgently and significantly increase their investment in cycling, to deliver comprehensive and safe networks of cycle lanes, and to enable people to choose to cycle for their everyday journeys.
We know that cycling fights climate change - it's time for our politicians to make that possible.
Ride more to cut your carbon footprint
If you have been inspired to cut your carbon footprint we have lots of advice to help you ride your bike more.
- Advice to help you get on your bike and enjoy your riding
- Use our Journey Planner to find quiet routes to your workplace or local amenities
- Find one of our projects near you which can help and encourage you to be more active by bike
- Join a local cycling group and find new friends to ride with
- Campaign with others for better cycling in your area - join our Cycle Advocacy Network