Have a favourite cycling café? Cycling UK wants to hear about it
- Annual competition to uncover the UK’s top cycling cafés coming to an end
- Closing date for nominations just a few days away
Coffee, cake and cycling: three mouth-watering ‘Cs’ at the heart of the bike riding community.
Time is running out to have your favourite cycle stop recognised in Cycling UK’s annual Cyclist Café of the Year competition. The cycling charity is holding its award again in recognition of the nation’s cyclists’ love for coffee and cake, with a view to establish the nation’s most cycle-friendly cafés in 2019 and give them the endorsement they deserve.
With the closing date looming (Monday 21, October), the charity is calling for final submissions for consideration.
Paul Tuohy, Cycling UK’s CEO said: “What would the club run be without a stop-off at a decent café for coffee and cake?
“In recognition of all the amazing cafés out there, supporting and sustaining cyclists across the UK, Cycling UK wants to reward the best of the best. Let us know which ones you think deserve public acknowledgement by nominating them in our awards.”
Cycling UK is on the lookout for a café for each of the home nations – England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – as well as for Lifetime Achievement.
A shortlist will be drawn up from the public nominations, and then presented to a line-up of expert judges who will decide the winners. The panel will be made up of coffee and cake enthusiasts from Cycling UK’s team of staff and trustees, and will be headed up by Celebrity MasterChef winner, cook book author, and keen cyclist Angellica Bell.
The five award-winners will be announced towards the end of November and will each receive a plaque to commemorate their achievement.
For further details and to cast your vote, head to: cyclinguk.org/cyclist-cafe-year-2019
Notes to editors
- Cycling UK, the national cycling charity, inspires and helps people to cycle and keep cycling, whatever kind of cycling they do or would like to do. Over a century’s experience tells us that cycling is more than useful transport; it makes you feel good, gives you a sense of freedom and creates a better environment for everyone. www.cyclinguk.org
- For more information, go to: cyclinguk.org/cyclist-cafe-year-2019
- The award-winners of 2018’s competition were as follows: Café Velo (Hampshire), England; Bow Bells (County Down), Northern Ireland; Velocity (Inverness), Scotland; I want to ride my bike café, bar and workshop (Cardiff), Wales; Eureka Café (Chester), Lifetime Achievement.
Press contact information
For more information contact the national Cycling UK Press Office on 01483 238 315, 07786 320 713 or email email@example.com