Saturday Morning Long Ride
Saturday Morning Long Ride
Sat 16th October 9:15am - Buntingford
A ride of 34 miles (54km), with a cafe stop in Buntingford, which is roughly half way.
See https://www.cyclinguk.org/event/saturday-morning-ride-buntingford for ride leader contact details to book on
Sat 20th November 9:15am - Redbourn
A ride of 41 miles (65km) with cafe stop in Redbourn, which is roughly half way.
See https://www.cyclinguk.org/event/saturday-morning-ride-redbourn for ride leader contact details to book on
Sat 11th December 9:15am - Puckeridge
A ride of 36 miles (57km) with cafe stop in Puckeridge, which is a little under half way.
See https://www.cyclinguk.org/event/saturday-morning-ride-puckeridge for ride leader contact details to book on
Outline of what to expect
At present these rides are planned to be run once or twice a month, dependant upon ride leader availability
Meet at Hampson Park coffee shop
Please aim to arrive by 9:15am on a Saturday to enable a prompt start. Rides depart at 9.30am prompt from the coffee shop in the Community Centre in Hampson Park. The coffee shop opens at 9am if you want a hot drink or food or toilet before the start.
The address of the park is Hampson Park, Webb Rise, Stevenage, Herts, SG1 5QU. The Stevenage cycling network passes through the park. There is free parking at the start if driving over.
See https://www.hampsonparkcc.co.uk/hampson-cafe for further details.
The rides will be road based and between 31-41 miles (50 - 65km) at a moving pace of about 11 mph (18 km/h). There will be time to catch your breath or grab a drink at the top of any longer hills. The aim is to ride at a conversational pace. There will be one cafe stop of between 30-40 minutes. It is planned that riders will be back at the start by 2:30pm at the latest. There should be no need for lights. If you've thought about a longer ride but at an easier pace you can manage. These may be the rides for you.
What to bring
As a minimum, you are advised to bring
- A mobile phone with the ride leader's number in it.
- Money for the cafe.
- A drink and some snacks in case you need something before or after the cafe.
- Spare tubes, puncture repair, pump and tools for your bike. In the event you have a problem, assistance can be provided, if you ask. We won't be carrying spare tubes / tools for you.
- A lightweight lock may be of use for the cafe stop.
- A spare jacket / warmer clothing and gloves is also advised in the colder months or if rain forecast.
Aged 18 and over
These rides are for cyclists aged 18 and over who are comfortable with riding in a group.
Ride limited to 8 riders. Where more than eight riders wish to join a ride, the ride will be split into as many groups as necessary. Please text or email the Ride Leader to book.
Ride Leaders Wanted
Are you an experienced rider, used to undertaking rides of at least 4 hours in length?
We are always interested in hearing from experienced riders willing to plan and lead long rides in lanes suitable for group riding.
If are a Cycling UK member and you can
- Plan day time routes of around 4 hours with a mid way cafe stop, suitable for small groups.
- Are willing to lead those rides on Saturdays between 9:15am and 2:30pm. On Saturdays that suit your availability
- Know your way around a bike and could offer minor repair assistance (such as for punctures) to others in the group if requested.
Then please come along on a Saturday morning long ride, to get a feel for the format, and let us know if interested in planning and leading some..