GoBike Hustings - Holyrood 2021
For the 2021 Scottish Parliament elections the traditional GoBike hustings will take place online, supported by Cycling UK.
Representatives of the various political parties will present their policies for improving provision for wheeling, walking and cycling in Scotland, they will answer our questions and yours, and there will also be an opportunity for them to debate the relevant issues for active travel.
The hustings will run under the Wheel, Walk, Cycle Vote banner. Walk, Wheel, Cycle, Vote is a collaborative campaign asking all candidates for the Scottish Parliament to sign up to three clear pledges that will make Scotland a country where everyone has the choice to walk, wheel or cycle in safety for their everyday journeys. The hustings will focus our questions around their three pledges on accessibility, infrastructure and investment.
- Accessibility: Ensure that our streets, paths, and footways are accessible to everyone, whether on foot or using any form of mobility aid; by putting accessibility at the heart of our street design, we will create places everyone can use and enjoy.
- Infrastructure: Create a long-term programme to rebuild our villages, towns, and cities around walking, wheeling and cycling, with active travel infrastructure everyone can use – the initial goal should be that every child who wants to can walk, wheel or cycle to their school.
- Investment: Provide the sustained, long-term investment needed to start this transformation of Scotland into a country that enables active travel everywhere – starting from 10% of the transport budget and rising to 20% over the course of the parliament.
Read the asks in full here.
Please register to receive email instructions on how to join on the evening. The hustings is open to all with an interest in active travel, so GoBike hope as many of our members and friends can attend. Please share the invite.
All parties have confirmed they will attend, with some spokespeople still to be confirmed.
- Patrick Harvie - Scottish Green Party
- Alex Rowley - Scottish Labour Party
- Graham Simpson - Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party
- Kaukab Stewart - Scottish National Party
- David McKenzie - Scottish Liberal Democrat Party
- Monday 12 April, 7pm - 8:30pm
- Shown live on GoToWebinar
- Q&A with the guests
- Free to attend, open to all
Cycling UK in Scotland campaigns for policies and investment which will enable more people to benefit from riding a bike. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to ride a bike in order to live a healthy, active and low-carbon lifestyle. This election is a key opportunity to tell parties and candidates how important cycling is for people, and Scotland’s future – with cycling part of a green recovery from the coronavirus pandemic, and you can help us.
Join the conversation online using #GoBikeHustings