The position of a cycling group secretary is an important one but it need not take up large amounts of precious cycling time. Cycling UK has compiled a set of invaluable resources to help make the tasks involved as easy as possible.
What are the main tasks of a cycling group secretary?
The secretary is the person who has day-to-day responsibility for the smooth-running of the group. Their tasks may include:
For Cycling UK member groups:
- convening any committee or General Meetings and prepare minutes of any such meetings;
- convening an Annual General Meeting;
- completing and submitting to Cycling UK National Office following the AGM a set of annual returns;
- ensuring that all committee members, ride leaders, event organisers and any other volunteer officers, are registered as such with Cycling UK National Office;
- trying to ensure that all officers are aware of and abide by Cycling UK national policies and guidance relevant to groups, including, for example safeguarding;
- acting as a point of contact between Cycling UK National Office and the group;
- acting as a point of contact between the group and any informal groups connected to the main group;
- acting as a point of contact for Cycling UK members using our Member Group Tool;
- ensuring any serious incidents during group rides are recorded on an Accident/Incident report form and that such forms are returned to Cycling UK and our agents as required; and
- ensuring that the group puts on a programme of rides and cycling activities suitable for and accessible to Cycling UK members in their area.
For affiliated and other groups:
- convene regular committee meetings and an Annual General Meeting for the whole group;
- ensure all ride leaders, event organisers, marshals and other officials are registered with Cycling UK;
- be aware of all our policies and guidance as relating to the smooth running of a group;
- be a point of contact for members and non-members of the group; and
- ensure any serious accidents/incidents on rides or at events are reported to Cycling UK and our agents.