Preston Pedals at the Park 2022
We are planning two main things.
1) An engagement event and launch of 'Preston Pedals' on 12th June
Taking a steer from Cycling UK, we plan to hold an event/launch/party to engage people in imagining how Preston could look if everyone cycled, how much quieter it could be, how much cleaner it could be, how much happier people could be.
Provide information about the things people can do to make this a reality – Can Cycling UK supply any info?
The event on 12th would have a meeting spot where we would have:
· Participatory methods to gather people’s ideas
· 'Preston Pedals' bike hub info and team on hand to answer questions
· Cycle mechanics/Dr bike type of service – minor tweaks
· Smoothie bike
· Free vegan food/snacks
· In partnership with Friends of the Guild Wheel, Pedal Away/Wheels for All, Sustrans
2) In addition we've put out an invite on social media and through our networks to encourage people (our friends, neighbours, our networks) to:
· get out and explore by bike the area of Preston where they live, possibly using parts of the Guild Wheel to get to shops, school, work, etc.
· explore local cycle paths and routes they haven’t tried before maybe with friends or the family.
· swap one commute or trip to the shops that they’d normally do by car or bus and do it by bike.
People can decide when they do this anytime during Bike Week, its flexible to fit in with busy lives, and people can choose their own routes. Not a led ride or event. We’ll gather stories and compile a report about what happens in Bike Week. We want to hear how easy/difficult it is to ride around Preston. What were the highlights/lowlights? Were there dedicated cycle lanes in convenient and safe places the whole way? Could you safely lock up your bike when you arrived? What was cycling in traffic like? Would you be happy to cycle this route with a child on your bike? We're encouraging people to take a selfie with their bike, tag us in @PrestonAction and tag their MP, @prestoncouncil and @LancashireCC. Hashtags #LetPrestonPedal and #BikeWeekUK. If not on Twitter, they can email info about their ride and any images to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll post it on our social media.
They can come along to our event on Sunday 12th June and tell us about their experiences of everyday journeys by bike in Preston.