Basic and Trail Side Maintenance
On this basic maintenance course, you will learn:
- Personal safety, tool and chemical handling
- Correct use of tools and lubricants
- Degreasing, cleaning and lubrication
- Pre-ride equipment checks
- Brakes: cable adjustment and pad/block adjustment and replacement – for caliper, V-brake and disc brakes
- Gears: indexing, cable adjustment, limit adjustment
- Transmission: chain repair and replacement
- Headset adjustment
- Wheels: punctures, tyre repair
- Emergency repairs: dealing with what can go wrong during a ride
Basic mechanical knowledge is a vital part of providing any kind of bike ride or cycling activity. Cycling UK’s Basic and Trail Side Maintenance course gives you the skills you need to prepare bikes safely for riding, and to fix the most common problems that occur during the course of a ride – on or off the road.
This is a hands-on course. You’ll be working on bikes, getting your hands dirty and learning by doing.
Click on the arrows icon below to open the full-size guide and to download your own copy.
After this course, our Advanced Maintenance course deals with more challenging and technical maintenance topics.
- Bike First Aid – 1-day course
- First Aid in the Outdoors – 2-day course
Both courses have been developed with cyclists in mind.
Please see Cycle courses and training for more information.