It's the Big Bike Revival's Summer of Cycling!
Ahhh, summer… It’s a perfect time for cycling. We all remember those long days with the breeze in our hair and the freedom to go wherever we wanted, whenever we wanted. Few things in life are better than a ride in the sunshine, a trip through the park or a pedal to the countryside. In fact, whether you’re still a regular cyclist or you haven’t been on a bike for years, summer is a great chance to get out and about on two wheels.
What's the problem?
Adults in Britain appear to be aware of cycling and its potential for shorter journeys and a large proportion have bikes but are at present not making use of them.
- High volume of Cycle Ownership (42%)
- Low levels of cycle usage (63% not cycled in the past year)
- Propensity to use the car for short trips that could be made by cycle (37% of adults)
How do we fix this?
The Big Bike Revival is a social marketing programme providing an opportunity to:
- Carry out basic repairs e.g. fix a puncture
- Cycle safely on and off road
- Donate your old bikes
- Buy a recycled bike
- Get advice about local cycle routes, clubs or activities
The Big Bike Revival is already having a great impact. Last year, we ran an intensive 2 week programme between May 23 - 7 June 2015. We achieved the following results:
- Over 50,000 people took part in the Big Bike Revival in 2015
- We brought over 24,000 bikes back into use through a bike check or bike repair. This represented an average of 2.3 bikes per household that are currently out of use!
- For every pound invested in the project, we generated up to six pounds in economic benefits.
- Almost half of those taking part in the Big Bike Revival came from areas of multiple deprivation.
Contact your local Cycling UK cycling development officer to find out how Cycling UK can help you!