Thighs of Steel
Thighs of Steel is a friendly community of cyclists always open to new riders. We are totally non-competitive and organise social rides leaving from across London on the last Sunday of the month.
We also organise a massive relay ride from London to Athens every summer. Cyclists join the ride for a week (or two) and fundraise for grassroots refugee organisations at home and abroad.
Since the European refugee crisis began, many millions of people have been forced to flee to Europe by land or sea. For a vast majority of these people, their struggle isn't over, the challenges they face continue in new ways.
Children are growing up without access to education or real homes. Support from NGOs and government bodies is proving insufficient. A lack of support and funding, teamed with unhurried bureaucracy, means lives are put on hold.
Over the past four years, more than 250 cyclists have cycled more than 25,000km and raised more than £250,000 for grassroots refugee organisations. Come join us!
At Thighs of Steel, we ride really far - and for good reason.
Our version of a cycling club means:
- A civilised start on the last Sunday of every month
- It's freeeeeee (except travel costs)
- Leaving from various different places across London
- Cycling in one of two groups; the Keen Crew (20-25kph, 60-100kms) or the Party Crew (whatever-kph, 40-60kms)
- No one gets left behind and it's totally non-competitive
- Weather dependant either arriving at a cosy pub, place to wild swim or someone’s house/boat
What to bring on our rides:
- A spare inner tube for your bike / puncture repair kit
- Whatever you need to take your wheel off to change a tyre
- A breathable waterproof top (this is Great Britain)
- Snacks - eat little and often (you're welcome to bring a sandwich or food for lunch - we try and find a shop en route as well)
- Water bottle
- And bike lights just in case in case!