Scarborough & Ryedale Community Cycling
The inclusive cycle centre at Scarborough and Ryedale has been set up in partnership and is affiliated with CTC. They are a community interest company (CIC) and run as a non-profit making scheme. For more information please visit the Scarborough & Ryedale Community Cycling website.
Rob Brown and Pete Blood are the driving force behind the centre and are passionate to see it evolve and grow. Neither of them are new to cycling as prior to setting this group up, Rob for example was instrumental in running the Bikeability programme in Scarborough under the Sports Partnership Scheme. Pete still runs a local bike hire company, Let's Bike, providing Balanceability to local primary schools.
The centres mobile and flexible approach aims to reach out to the wider community to raise awareness of the great service they provide to people in need of adapted bikes. They have already established close links with a number of local community interest organisations. This includes Let's Bike Scarborough, Scarborough Mencap, and the Whitby, Scarborough and Ryedale Disability Action Group.
The centre has been busy promoting and they held taster session at the Gallows Centre on the 5th December 2014, and were involved in the Sports Taster Day on 14th March 2015, held at Whitby Leisure Centre.
The centre is keen to offer and be part of exciting cycle events throughout the year too, like the Fun Ride - Tour de Yorkshire on 1st May 2015.
The group will be seen at the upcoming Scarborough Festival of Cycling, on 22nd - 23rd August 2015.
- Scarborough & Ryedale Community Cycling are a mobile inclusive centre.
- The centre is developing its programme and have so far transported their adapted bikes to run closed group bookings and taster events.
- Closed group bookings have taken place at a variety of fun places like the Gallows Close Community Centre, Hairy Bob's Skate Park and on the Seafront coastal path.
Taster sessions have been held at Woodlands Academy and the Action for Children Centre.
Weekly closed group sessions now take place at the Gallows Close Community Centre and they are keen to expand on this service. Please contact them if you would like to make a one-off group booking, run a taster session or establish a regular inclusive session.
- The centres range of adapted bikes includes a wheelchair carrier, a front-seated bike for a wheelchair user able to transfer, side-by-side (trike) tandems, standard tandems, hand cranked cycles, trikes, recumbent bikes, an electric bike, and even two-wheeled bicycles too.
- In addition to their adapted cycles the centre offers karts and two-wheeled bikes too.
Want to know more about who inclusive cycle centres cater for? Check out CTCs What is inclusive cycling? or contact us (see contact details above).
Want to help? There are various ways in which you could volunteer:
- Sessional Support
- Additional Events Support
- Cycle Maintenance
- Other opportunities (please specify)
Inclusive cycling session are possible at various locations around Scarborough and Ryedale.
Open: All year
Sessions: Group bookings on prior arrangement.