Leeds Adapted Cycling
Leeds Adapted Cycling
Leeds Adapted Cycling is delivered by Leeds City Council and they offer regular inclusive cycling sessions, on an outdoor smooth athletics track at The John Charles Centre for Sport. They cater for all adults and children, who are over the age of 5 years old and the centre have an extensive range of adapted cycles suitable for most needs and abilities. Please see CTC's guide to adapted cycles for more information.
Leeds Adapted Cycling is affiliated to CTC and the inclusive cycling sessions form part of the overall Leeds Disability Sport Programme. This programme is co-ordinated by Leeds City Council's Sport and Active Lifestyles department and involves all partners across the city. Leeds Disability Sport offers an extensive range of sports activities and recreational opportunities for disabled children, young people and adults of all ability levels. To view this disability sport programme go to: www.leeds.gov.uk/disabilitysport . A city-wide events programme is also available to view on the website.
Herd Farm Activity Centre
Inclusive cycling is also offered at a second location in Leeds, The Herd Farm Activity Centre. They are situated in the rural north area of Leeds city, a stones throw from the Emmerdale Film Set. They offer a range of adapted cycles to ride on a purpose built outdoor track. The centre mainly caters for schools, offering residential activities and run independently from the John Charles Centre. Please contact them directly to book a session and for more information.
- Sessions run every day, apart from Sunday, on an hourly basis.
- Booking in advance is advisable, please contact the John Charles Centre for Sport to book a session.
- Adapted bikes available at the centre include quads, trikes, hand cycles, mountain trikes, bucket seat duel cycles and tandems. Most cycles offer back support and seat belts.
- We have members of staff at every session who are available to help you choose a suitable bike for your needs and level of ability. We even have a hoist to assist with transfers.
- If you are a group of 6 or more people, the centre can book sessions at alternate times.
- Riders enjoy cycling on a smooth track.
Want to know more about who inclusive cycle centres cater for? Check out CTCs What is inclusive cycling? or contact us (see contact details above).
John Charles Centre:
Parking is reserved for blue badge holders.
Entrance to the centre is level with automatic doors, and lifts provide access to all floors.
The changing facilities offer accessible showers and a transfer hoist.
The centre boasts free WiFi too.
Please contact them directly for facility details
John Charles Centre for Sport (south)
By Bike: near local routes
By Bus: 117, 202, 203, 217, 220, 221, 223, 481 from city centre
By Road: off A653, near A6110, M1, M62, M621
By Rail: Leeds or Cottingley
Herd Farm Activity Centre (north)
John Charles Centre
Open: Daily (except Sundays)
Mon 1:30 til 2:30pm
Tue - Fri 10am til 12pm
Sat 10:45 til 11:45am
Open: Spring/Summer, term time only
Sessions: Sat 2 til 3:30pm