Chellow Heights SEN School
Chellow Heights SEN school is a Cycling UK affiliated centre. CTC were instrumental in helping the school at the start as they provided bike maintenance training for staff which meant many broken bikes could be fixed.
Many children at the school are in wheelchairs and CTC have been able to assist with the purchase of a Velo-plus bike, which is a front loading wheelchair carrier.
The SEN school caters for pupils with a diverse range of special educational needs, for learners aged 2 - 11 years. They are based at two sites, the main one is in the west of Bradford at Heaton Primary, the Acorn Centre, and a smaller one is located to the south of Bradford at Low Moor. The school opened in April 2010, and they have over 150 children across the two sites.
- Riders cycle on an interactive smooth road, within the school playground.
- Their fleet includes two wheelers, hand trikes, scooters, 3 wheeler trikes, balance bikes, transferable wheelchair bikes and side by side cycles.
- Cycle sessions are scheduled into every classroom timetable, even over lunchtimes.
- The bikes are available during holiday times too, for parents to bring their children and enjoy the facilities.
Want to know more about who inclusive cycle centres cater for? Check out CTCs What is inclusive cycling? or contact us (see contact details above).
Want to help? There are various ways in which you could volunteer:
- Sessional Support
- Additional Events Support
- Cycle Maintenance
- Other opportunities (please specify)
Chellow Heights West (primary)
By Bike: local routes limited
By Bus: 620, 621, 680
By Road: off B6269, near A650
By Rail: Frizinghall or Shipley
Chellow Heights South (secondary)
Open: All year to school pupils and their families
Sessions: Scheduled into daily timetables
Chellow Heights West Tel: 01274 484242
Chellow Heights South Tel: 01274 679972