Communications and Media Officer
Salary: £26,000 - £28,000
Location: Guildford, Surrey
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Do you have a flair for telling a story? Are you passionate about working for a charity delivering real change?
Cycling UK, the national cycling charity, is on a mission to inspire a million more people onto their bikes. We’re not about winning medals, but about helping people who will benefit from cycling the most, whether that’s a refugee who never learned to cycle or people suffering from mental or physical illnesses who require a hand on their road to recovery.
We run Bike Week, the annual Women’s Festival of Cycling and inspire around 60,000 people every year to overcome the barriers stopping them cycling through our Big Bike Revival programme. We’re also making cycling safer through our campaigning work, lobbying Government to spend more money on infrastructure and educating drivers on sharing the roads safely.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic Communications and Media Officer with strong news judgement, an eye for a good story and excellent written skills to join our growing, dedicated team.
You’ll be comfortable responding to new stories as they break, building and maintaining strong relationships across the charity and with journalists, and confident pitching stories to national, local and specialist media.
We need someone brimming with creative ideas who can deliver and implement media campaigns, write articles for our membership magazine and support our video production team.
You’ll also be writing press releases, statements and blogs, advising on media tactics and promoting our award-winning campaign work.
If you’re a committed communicator who’s passionate about their work, we want to hear from you.
To be successful you’ll need:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent qualification / experience
- Proven experience in journalism, media & PR or marketing, in commercial or charity sector
- Experience of working across a broad range of media including digital, social and print
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and copy writing skills
- Ability to write high quality press releases, media statements, case studies and articles for a variety of audiences
- Ability to be proactive, plan, balance, cope with competing priorities and work collaboratively
- Ability to translate strategies into tactical plans, lead on implementation
- Network builder, looks for partnerships with media and outside bodies
To apply for this post, please complete the attached application form and send along with your CV and a covering letter explaining why we absolutely must consider you for the job to Sue.Cherry@cyclinguk.org.
Closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 2 February 2020.