Volunteer photography opportunity at Cycling UK
Cycling is a seriously photogenic sport. The mud, the sweat, the speed… it’s a great way to hone your cycling photography skills and to try out creative camera techniques at the same time. Best of all, unlike many sports, you can get in close with your camera!
Cycling UK, the UK’s largest cycling charity, inspires and helps people to cycle and keep cycling.
We work to protect and promote cycling to create a healthier, cleaner world, now and for the future. We want the UK to be a place where it’s easy and safe for people of all ages to cycle, whatever their ability, background or income. We believe that cycling is more than just transport; it makes you feel good, gives you a sense of freedom and creates a better environment for everyone.
We’ve been working for cycling for over a century. Nationally and locally, we use our knowledge to influence decision makers and help people discover how cycling can change lives.
Purpose of the volunteer role
The communications team at Cycling UK is looking for volunteers across the UK to help capture images at national and local Cycling UK events and also of every day images of cyclists to expand its image library. The images will be used online and in Cycling UK publications, your work will also be used to help document the charitable work of Cycling UK.
This volunteering opportunity could greatly enhance your CV and portfolio by gaining hands-on experience in communications, photography and image management.
During the 3-6 months you will be invited along to all relevant meetings and will be given fortnightly one-two-one feedback to ensure learning and development takes place.
Experience you can expect to gain
- Be a part of a busy communications team in the charity sector
- Help set up a picture library and organise images
- Assist with selecting images for use in newsletters, magazine and online
- Take on research as and when needed including researching best way of
- organising images with a limited budget
- Draft photography brief for photographers
- Assist with case study gathering for use in media and marketing
- Undertake photographic assignments (at events or documenting Cycling UK’s work).
- Processing new images using Photoshop
We’re looking for someone who is conscientious, organised and tenacious with good communication skills and a keen eye for detail.
Knowledge of or an interest in picture libraries/archiving and photography would be an advantage.
- The ability to recognise a good photograph
- Flexible approach to work duties and highly organised
- Able to work in a small team
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good working knowledge of digital imaging including Adobe Photoshop
- Interest in cycling and cycling culture
- Photography experience
- Ability and experience of taking images to a brief