Cycling in the great outdoors is not only healthy and fun, it's something all the family can do together. CTC has a wide range of events and rides that are perfect for mum, dad, the children - and granny and grandad too! - so check out our selection of some of the best we have to offer:
Cycling rallies in the summer holidays
Rallies are a fantastic way to meet other families in the relaxed setting of a campsite and could get your kids hooked on cycling for life. Most rallies offer short, child-friendly rides on mainly traffic-free lanes or forest tracks. What could be better than an exciting ride followed by an evening swapping stories with others while you enjoy a glass of wine or beer outside your tent whilst the kids are free to run or ride around with their new-found friends?
- The CTC New Forest Cycling Week  celebrates its 40th year in 2014 and takes place in the magnificent grounds of Avon Tyrell in the heart of the forest. Rides to the beach for kite-flying, crabbing and ice creams evoke the nostalgia of childhoods of old. And large slabs of cake or a lavish cream tea at Annie's famous tea room are a must after all that pedalling! New Forest ponies and cattle roam around freely on the roads and tracks, making a holiday here a unique experience that children will remember forever. In addition, there are plenty of activities on-site including fun competitions and a mini time trial. There's even an MTB track and downhill course for the thrill seekers among you!
- The Welsh Festival of Cycling  has on road and off-road led rides of various distances and includes a treasure hunt, a map reading competition and a hill climb, all on quiet traffic-free lanes.
- The Lothians and Borders CTC Rally  will have rides from 20 to 60 miles in and around Edinburgh. In the evenings there will be meals, a quiz, a ceilidh and a film.
- The CTC Birthday Rides  are the annual celebration of CTC's birth in 1878. A choice of half-board accommodation or self-catering camping with the option of meals is available. Evening entertainment is provided and a programme of films if it's too wet to ride.
Many local CTC groups offer shorter, family-friendly rides to encourage the younger generation. Here is just a small selection but you can check our UK Cycling Events Listing  to find more - just search under 'Family Rides' under Group Activities or put 'Easy' or 'Family' in the search box. You can also see our Local Groups  list to find out what's on offer near you.
- 16 April - Portsmouth CTC - A series of easy rides  of 2 or 3 hours with a stop for coffee and cake on mainly flat routes
- 24 April - Cycle Queensbury - Easter Egg Hunt  near Bradford, Yorkshire
- 11 May - CTC Glasgow - a short, family ride  taking in the new Glasgow Transport Museum with its historic cycle collection and the renowned Burrell Art Collection in Pollok Park
- 18 May - Cycle Queensbury - Family Fun Rides  near Bradford, Yorkshire
- 15 June - Louth and District Hospice Bikeathon  10 miles, under 16s free
- 22 June - Family Fun Rides  nr Nuneaton 5 and 10 miles
CTC's holiday company runs a several tours every year just for families. Explore pastures new with like-minded folk, both here and abroad, with an experienced tour leader helping you get the most out of your hard-earned break.
And if your children are not confident on their bikes, or maybe cannot ride at all, why not get them some cycle training? CTC's trained cycle instructors  will enable them to enjoy cycling even more by teaching control skills, road sense and riding confidence in a fun and friendly way. If mountain biking is more their thing, we have a range of off-road courses  too.
Find out more with CTC's Family and Leisure resources .