The Transition Bike Club Project encourages more young people to become involved in cycling.
The participating primary schools are:
- Heolgerrig Community Primary School
- Cyfarthfa Junior School
- Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Santes Tudful
- Caedraw Primary
- Twynyrodyn Community Primary School
The Transition Bike club is split into four periods during the academic year covering the following areas:
- Term (1) - Introduction/Route Planning - identifying safe cycle routes using traditional maps and the Internet; what to wear when cycling.
- Term (2) - Bike Maintenance/Safety - learning how to look after and maintain bicycles and what to carry on a bike when cycling. Recycle bikes.
- Term (3) - Bike Training, Consultation Exercise(s)
- Term (4) - Planned Routes/Sponsored Events/Devise Information Leaflets/Bike Club Showcase/Continued Led Rides
The Transition Bike Club Project encourages more children to cycle to school, reducing traffic levels which in turn decreases potential traffic incidents around schools.
The Bike Club also helps with the transition from Primary School to High School where they will be able to make new friends through the Transition Bike Club programme embedding community cohesion.