Swansea Cycle Challenge 2012 exceeds all expectations!
Swansea Cycle Challenge in July has exceeded all expectations and created some fantastic cycling-related results!
Funded by the Welsh Government through Sustain Wales, the Challenge pits organisations and departments within them against each other to encourage participants to cycle for a minimum of 10 minutes during the Challenge period.
Considering it was the wettest July on record in Swansea, it was a fantastic achievement by all the organisations and participants in creating such awesome results! Congratulations to all the category winners and to everyone who took part!!"
Swansea Cycle Challenge Coordinator
The competitive element didn't finish there, as there were other challenges taking place in Gwynedd and Cardiff, the Swansea Cycle Challenge competed against the other regions to become the top performing city in Wales.
The competitive element took hold across Wales, with the Universities in each city competing against each other as well as the local councils, environment agencies and even retailers.
A selection of statistics from the Swansea Cycle Challenge shows that:
- 90 organisations participated in the challenge
- 272 new cyclists have been created by the challenge
- 49,379 miles for transport purposes were cycled
- Saving 7 tonnes of CO2 and burning 437lbs of fat!
- 46% of participants were non-cyclists prior to the challenge!!
In Swansea, the final results were eagerly awaited by all 90 of the participating organisations as each category was a very closely fought affair. The winners in each category were:
- 500+ staff members - Admiral Insurance
- 200-499 - New Business SWN
- 50-199 - Environment Agency
- 20-49 - Countryside Council for Wales
- 7-19 - Environmental Planning
- 3-6 - Singleton Estates
For further information on Cycle Challenges in Wales or if you'd like a Challenge to come to your town or city, please email Ian.Richardson@ctc.org.uk.