Basic mechanical knowledge is a vital part of providing any kind of bike ride or cycling activity. Cycling UK's Basic Maintenance course gives you the skills you need to prepare bikes safely for riding, and to fix the most common problems that occur during the course of a ride - on or off the road.
The course is hands-on. You'll be working on bikes, getting your hands dirty and learning by doing.
On this Basic Maintenance Course, you will learn:
- Personal safety, tool and chemical handling
- Correct use of tools and lubricants
- Degreasing, cleaning and lubrication
- Pre-ride equipment checks
- Brakes - cable adjustment and pad/block adjustment and replacement - for caliper, V-brake and disc brakes
- Gears - indexing, cable adjustment, limit adjustment
- Transmission - chain repair and replacement
- Headset adjustment
- Wheels - punctures, tyre repair
- Emergency repairs - dealing with what can go wrong during a ride
Please contact the Courses & Training Helpline to find out if this course is available for booking: 01483 238 337
After this course, our Advanced Maintenance course deals with more challenging and technical maintenance topics.