First Aid in the Outdoors - NEW Courses FOR 2017
First aid, especially when operating in the outdoors is a crucial skill to hold and is often mandatory.
Cycling UK'S first aid courses include:
- Outdoor First Aid. This 2-day (16 hour) course, which is accepted for most outdoor environments, specifically covers the first aid requirements where you are away from immediate (road based) ambulance access. Suited to those holding Cycling UK's Leader, Instructor and Trainer Awards. This course is also appropriate and relevant to most other outdoor activity qualifications, such as BCU, MLTB, and RYA.
For new dates: Call 01483 238305
- Bike First Aid. This 1-day course covers typical incidents and injuries sustained by cyclists and mountain bikers, and provides scenarios to help you manage emergencies. It is ideally suited to general riders and club members, as well as those working in ambulance and phone landline accessible environments, such as holders of Group Leader, Ride Manager, Club Ride Leader and MTB Leader.
Each First Aid in the Outdoors course includes:
- Safe best practice
- A systematic approach to incident management in the outdoors
- Unconsciousness, causes and treatment
- External bleeding, internal bleeding and shock
- Resuscitation procedures including choking
- Awareness of current regulations
- Injury management outdoors
- Illness recognition and management
- Managing thermal (heat, cold) problems
- Incident management scenarios
The full course package is based on:
- Interactive hands-on practical training indoors and outside
- Typically 70% practical with 30% theory session ratio
- One CPR training manikin per 2 participants
- Use of recommended first aid kit
- Easy to follow individual course booklet
- An accredited, recognised certificate valid for 3 years
Cycling UK's first aid in the outdoors courses provide you with the adaptions, skills and experience to manage injury situations and especially give you confidence. The two-day course also covers longer term immediate care where road-going ambulance and possibly phone access is not immediate.
Cycling UK's , working closely with the UK wide first aid providers including Lifesigns Group & Outdoor Training have generated cycle-specific elements and scenarios for these courses, ensuring that whether you are out on your own or with a group, on the road or trail, and out in the woods or wilds, you will know what to do when things don't go quite as planned...
This course is valid for a period of three years, after which revalidation is required.
Please contact the Courses & Training Helpline to find out if this course is available for booking: 01483 238 337
What you need
There is no prior experience required before attending this course. The qualification is valid for three years, after which re-validation is required.
This course leads directly to further first aid courses including the Expedition First Aid and the Overseas Medical Intervention courses.