Cycling UK Forum - On the road

Syndicate content
Discussion boards hosted by Cycling UK
Updated: 14 weeks 2 days ago

Re: Interesting design(s)

15 April 2016 - 10:40am
He has multiple nationalities - I wonder if there is a split between people with RTL written languages, as opposed to LTR ones.

I *think*, only I can never test this now, that I would draw it heading to the right - because that's the way I operate based on the language I write.

Re: Interesting design(s)

15 April 2016 - 10:07am
Firstly, because most of us will know the transmission is on the right side of the bike (Tandem pilots with crossover transmissions excepted...) and because we spend so much time thinking about gears be it simply shifting them as we ride or fiddling with them to get them working properly most cyclists will put them on the "front" of the drawing, hence the bike will be facing right.

It's only a hypothesis, however!

Re: rain

15 April 2016 - 9:53am
The rain doesn't worru me, but when the thunder started yesterday and I was exposed at a high point across the fields then I did get a bit concerned. My shiny head would doubtless make an excellent lightning conductor.

Re: First time on a Boris bike.

15 April 2016 - 9:41am
Yes, I take my Bike Friday to London on occasion for that same reason (though it's less convenient as a city bike than a Brompton - a little too big to fold and carry with you, but bloody awkward to lock up outside).

Re: OVER THE HANDLEBARS

15 April 2016 - 9:23am
Muscle spasm? Somehow throwing yourself forwards? Just thinking of all possibilities, electric shock?

Re: OVER THE HANDLEBARS

15 April 2016 - 9:14am
He lost the back end first, however when you look at it he didn't just slide out in a typical rear slide (low side) but regained it and then fell forwards over the front wheel (high side).

I agree it's an imperfect analogy, but the point I was trying to make was that despite NO obstruction to the front wheel he still went over it. In each case it's due to a big steering angle such that the forward momentum carrys you over the wheel rather than it rotating.

Tavistock Torrington Place cycle route trial (Camden)

15 April 2016 - 9:11am
Anyone know what's going on there just now? It says nothing on Camden's website.

The background is that there used to be a narrow bidirectional cycleway on one side of Tavistock Place and Torrington Place, which runs eastward from Tottenham Court Road past UCL towards the City. But with 1000 bikes per hour using it, Camden bravely, but only as a 1 year trial initially, installed wide cycleways on both sides of the road, one for each direction. This reduced the amount of carriageway available for motor traffic to just 1 lane, so these streets have become 1-way streets for motorists, shock horror. This started late last year. Extended sections of the new cycle ways are very sensibly segregated with the rubber blocks known as armadillos, rather than raised kerbs, which apart from anything else have the unfortunate effect of making the cycle way unnecessarily narrow by occupying space. This is what Camden says about it. http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/tr ... changes.en

So what has happened recently. The think that particularly interests me is that they have removed all of the segregating infrastructure on the westbound section of the cycleway between Gower St and Tott Ct Road. Why would they do that? I'm not surprise the black cast iron bollards protecting the ends of the cycleway have gone. Even though they did have hi-viz markings, obviously vehicles would frequently hit them, and it would be annoying to be forever repairing them, quite apart from the danger that is produced to passersby when a vehicle strikes a piece of cast iron street furniture (I was once a witness when a pedestrian minding her own business was very badly injured in such an incident). In other locations they have now been replaced by lightweight and much higher viz bollards. But along the section I mention, they have removed the entire segregating infrastructure.

Part of the reason that we have such crap cycle infrastructure in this country is that councils do things without consulting the users, and fail to understand proper criticism as to how to do it properly. Camden is much one of the best local authorities, but the mere fact that they ever thought it appropriate to use black cast iron bollards in such a scheme shows that even they just don't get it. I really wonder what they are up to now and why. As a regular user of the route, I'd like to be consulted, not just have a replacement solution imposed without the opportunity to comment.

Re: Interesting design(s)

15 April 2016 - 8:58am
Why do you think that?

Re: First time on a Boris bike.

14 April 2016 - 9:50pm
Richard Fairhurst wrote:The biggest issue I have with Boris bikes is a result of their success - it's difficult to find one in the centre of town late at night when you want to cycle back to your hotel/station/whatever, presumably because everyone else is doing so.

I've given up using them for this reason. Town centre docking stations are full during the day. Finding somewhere to park your Boris Bike now takes longer than walking in the first place. I took one on a short hop last summer from Lower Regent's Street over to St Martin's Lane - the sort of short hop they are supposed to be ideal for - at Trafalgar Square I couldn't find an empty docking station. The smart phone app pointed me to Cambridge Circus being the nearest space, and only one space available. I headed there quickly as time was running out. When I arrived I discovered there was indeed one space but it was broken and wouldn't accept bikes. There was a queue of other Boris Bikers in the same boat. We checked the app again and headed to Soho Square in convoy. By the time I docked the bike I had a longer walk back to my destination than if I had walked in the first place.

My London short hop bike is now my Brompton, much more dependable.

Re: First time on a Boris bike.

14 April 2016 - 9:42pm
mjr wrote:I can't remember but isn't the twist grip pull-back-to-go-faster?


It's the opposite to my MTB's SRAM grip shift - and I always get it wrong. Pull back to go up a gear. It probably makes sense because you are twisting in the same direction as a motorbike throttle but I've been using the SRAM for 17 years and it's ingrained.

Re: Punctured!

14 April 2016 - 8:47pm
Tragic...........really you need a nice IPA for post ride refreshment

Re: Interesting design(s)

14 April 2016 - 7:41pm
Thanks for the link. They look beautifully surreal machines, something that MC Escher might have dreamt up. I think it's particularly interesting that 75% of the machines were drawn facing left. I bet most (if not all) of the contributors to this forum would draw them facing right.

Re: Dogs on cycle paths - how many where you live?

14 April 2016 - 6:55pm
BottomGear wrote:I just think dogs should be kept under control on these shared paths, but I also think cyclists should keep speeds down too.

Dog owners should assume that the cyclist is unable to stop, cyclists should assume that all dogs are about to see a squirrel...

Re: OVER THE HANDLEBARS

14 April 2016 - 4:50pm
Surely (Joseba Beloki's career-limiting crash in the 2003 TdF )

Happened because his rear wheel went sideways on melting tar.
He lost the back end not over the bars.

Re: First time on a Boris bike.

14 April 2016 - 4:45pm
Samuel D wrote:whoof wrote:I would recommend look a bike over quite well before unlocking it. There were a fair few with flat tyres or broken seatpin clamps etc.
Did they have broken seat posts or were the saddles merely reversed? A reversed saddle is a signal to others that the bicycle has developed a fault – usually not with the seat post itself!

That's a really clever idea...

Re: OVER THE HANDLEBARS

14 April 2016 - 4:32pm
geocycle wrote:Nearest I have been to going over the top was my infamous encounter with a frozen rabbit....!

I always find the frozen ones never jump out of the way,no matter how loud you shout

Re: OVER THE HANDLEBARS

14 April 2016 - 4:28pm
Nearest I have been to going over the top was my infamous encounter with a frozen rabbit....!

Re: OVER THE HANDLEBARS

14 April 2016 - 4:23pm
Mick F wrote:If you went over the 'bars, the front wheel must have locked.

I disagree, off road I've taken a fair few pearlers over the years when the front steering has been sharply turned by an obstruction on the ground. The bike then trips over the front wheel. The classic example is Joseba Beloki's career-limiting crash in the 2003 TdF (in his case the bike was sideways first):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8m5-sR6I4&

My guess is that you caught a rut, embedded stone or pothole edge just enough to twist the bars. It's surprising how small it can be. I wrecked a set of bars, helmet, bar ends and forks by hitting - very slightly obliquely - a tyre tramline frozen in mud. It all happens so fast it's hard to work out the sequence of events.

Re: First time on a Boris bike.

14 April 2016 - 2:07pm
Samuel D wrote:Richard Fairhurst wrote:Paris seemed to be a little better at trucking the vélibs around town to replenish supplies in the very little experience I have.
They do truck them around a fair bit, but it’s still common to have trouble finding a Vélib' at the top of a hill or docking one at the bottom of a hill. People prefer to cycle downhill than uphill, it would seem. Who knew?

There were all sorts, broken clamps so the saddle was all the way down, missing pedals, pedals that wouldn't turn...

Re: Dogs on cycle paths - how many where you live?

14 April 2016 - 1:39pm
There are a section of cycle paths near me where dogs easily outnumber cyclists 5 to 1. Almost all are off the lead and seldom do the owners recall the dogs when they realise a cyclist approaches. I have learnt to carefully pick my way through along these stretches but recently a woman, who had a 2 small dogs was more interested in her mobile and so just let her dogs run about all over the path, it caused a near miss and a 'sorry' from the woman, but it left me thinking of the consequences if I hit the dog.

I just think dogs should be kept under control on these shared paths, but I also think cyclists should keep speeds down too.
 
  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cycling UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no: 25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales charity no: 1147607 and in Scotland charity no: sco42541. Registered office: Parklands, Railton Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 9JX.

Copyright © CTC 2016

Terms and Conditions